Here’s how you can give yourself a lovely at-home facial in just 5 easy steps:
What you will need…
- gentle facial cleanser
- exfoliating scrub
- face mask (clay-based for oily skin, cream or gel mask for dry skin)
- face moisturizer
- Clean. Remove all makeup and then wash your face, neck and ears with a good facial cleanser.
- Exfoliate. Using your fingers gently rub an exfoliating facial scrub in small circular motions all over your face. Make sure you focus on areas around your nose and forehead. If certain areas of your face are oilier than others, give that section an extra scrub. Go the extra mile and do a lip scrub too! Click here for my DIY lip scrub recipe.
- Steam. There are a few ways to steam your face (over the stove, using a steamer), but the safest way is to do the washcloth trick. Fill your sink with warm water and soak a washcloth in it. Ring out the towel and then press it to your face. Repeat this 2 to 3 times.
- Mask. If you have oily skin, use a clay mask. For dry skin, I suggest using a hydrating cream or gel mask. Depending on the mask, leave it on for the suggested amount of time and then rinse completely. (DIY Alert: Making your own mask is very easy. An orange and yogurt mask is especially simple. Mix 1 tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt with the juice of about one fourth of an orange. Spread the mixture evenly over your face and rinse after 5 to 10 minutes.)
- Hydrate. Last by not least, moisturize! Smooth a nice, thick moisturizer over your face and neck.
Is your skincare routine working for you? Share your tips and tricks in the comments below (especially if you have any fun DIY face mask recipes). I will compile the best suggestions to share in a follow up post.
P.S. Click here for a great recipe on how to make your own citrus infused facial refresher.