Today we are back with another delicious Meatless Monday meal idea, courtesy of our go-to nutritionist Kelly LeVeque. If you’re familiar with our girl Be Well By Kelly, you may know that many of her recipes include animal proteins like bison and grass-fed beef. But with a couple of vegetarian team members on Team LC, we were excited to hear that there will be an entire chapter on plant-based diets in Kelly’s next book, due out January 2019. And while we wait for the book to drop, we have this cauliflower rice vegetable curry bowl to hold us over. Whether you’re a full-fledged vegan or just want to include more veggie dishes in your diet, this wholesome bowl is both delicious and nutritionist-approved. Per Kelly’s expert advice, if you opt for a vegetarian based meal, add protein and fat like hemp hearts coconut milk to keep you feeling full and your blood sugar leveled. Keep scrolling for the recipe, and to see the beautiful ceramic dishware and table linens from The Little Market that Kelly used to plate this dish…
Cauliflower Rice Vegetable Curry Bowl
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup squash (butternut, kabocha or delicata)
- ½ cup carrots
- ½ cup broccoli
- ¼ cup snap peas
- 1 cup kale
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup green onion
- 2 Tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- In a medium Dutch oven or other heavy-duty pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 2-5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium (or medium low if necessary) and cook until the onion is richly browned but not burned, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Add the garlic and ginger; stir continuously until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the curry, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne; stir for 30 seconds to toast the spices.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until well blended with the aromatics, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low or low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, broccoli, carrots and snap peas, continuing to simmer over medium heat for 7-10 minutes. You want vegetables to be fork tender.
- Cover, and continue to simmer until the vegetables are fork tender, checking every 5 minutes until done.
- While vegetables tenderize, in a fry pan mix, coconut oil, coconut milk and cauliflower rice. Sauce for 5-7 minutes until done.
- Stir in the kale and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes more.
- Season to taste with salt. Serve with cauliflower rice and garnish with cilantro, green onion and hemp hearts.
Are you going to give this recipe a try?
We’ll be making it tonight!
XO Team LC