We’re big on breakfast in my family. Since dinnertime is often a different story (takeout is your best friend when you’re a working parent of two small children), we use the fact that we’re all up early to our advantage and make breakfast the big home-cooked meal of the day. You won’t find me scarfing down a bowl of cold cereal or grabbing a granola bar and running out the door. Instead, we all sit together and dine on a tasty veggie scramble or my husband’s famous Coconut Brioche French Toast. My very favorite breakfast dish, however, has to be Spiralized Sweet Potato Nests. I originally discovered a similar recipe on Pinterest several years back, and I’ve been whipping up my own delicious variations ever since. It’s chock full of healthy veggies, gluten-free, and looks quite impressive in spite of how very easy it is to make. Whether you’re big on weekday breakfast like I am or reserve the cooking for Sunday brunch, I can almost guarantee you’ll love it. Check out the recipe below…
Spiralized Sweet Potato Nests With Baked Eggs
- 1 sweet potato, spiralized (tip: you can save time in the morning by spiralizing your sweet potatoes ahead of time or buying them that way)
- 2-4 eggs
- additional chopped veggies of choice (broccoli, butternut squash, and bell peppers are good options)
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- avocado slices
1. Preheat your oven to broil. Using a large cast iron skillet or other pan that can be transferred into the oven, sauté your sweet potato and veggies in the olive oil, salt, and pepper until softened.
2. Form the sweet potatoes into little “nests” and then crack your eggs over them.
3. Transfer the whole pan into the oven and broil for about 5-10 minutes, depending on how cooked you like your eggs.
4. Remove from the oven, and top with sliced avocado. Season with more salt and pepper, to taste. Enjoy!
Are you going to give this recipe a try?
Let me know how it turns out!