The dog days of summer are upon us, and the weather here in Southern California is hot and humid. So, what better way to cool down than with a frozen fruity cocktail? Today I’m sharing a twist on a classic by adding the quintessential summer flavors of watermelon to my go-to summer cocktail: a Moscow Mule. Just blend it up with a little ice and garnish with a sprig of mint, and you’ll be ready for the weekend. Cheers!
Frozen Watermelon Moscow Mules
Makes about 4 cocktails
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons freshly grated ginger (peel off the skin first with a potato peeler, then grate a small piece of the root)
- 3 cups fresh watermelon
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 cups sparkling water
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- 4 ½ tablespoons ginger syrup
- 2 cups ice for blending
1. For the homemade ginger simple syrup, add your water and sugar to a medium sauce pan and let boil. Bring back down to a simmer and stir in your freshly grated ginger. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the syrup thickens, for about 10 minutes. Remove and let cool for about 15 minutes.
2. In a high-power blender, add watermelon, vodka, sparkling water, ice, lime juice and fresh ginger syrup. Blend on high until well combined.
3. Pour into four cocktail glasses of your choice, garnishing with a slice of fresh watermelon and a sprig of mint. Enjoy!
What’s your go-to summer cocktail?
Will you be making this frozen watermelon Moscow mule?
Let me know in the comments below!