Thank you to James Allen, a company we love, for sponsoring this post!
Getting engaged is hands down one of the most exciting life moments. And sharing the happy news with friends and family is a huge part of that. First come the phone calls to your closest loved ones, and then it’s time to take the perfect ring shot to share with extended family, friends, and followers on social media. So, being the Instagram-obsessed group of gals that we are, we partnered with JamesAllen.com to bring you six tips for taking the perfect engagement ring photo. Whether you’re newly engaged or expecting a proposal this summer season, this guide from our Team LC editors will share professional tips for capturing every bit of sparkle. While there are no filters necessary to capture the magic of these James Allen beauties, there are a few tips to keep in mind to make sure you are sharing the most beautiful photo possible.
But before we begin, a little about James Allen… James Allen is the best place to buy an engagement ring for a few reasons. JamesAllen.com is an online engagement ring retailer that allows you to browse through their inspiration gallery of hundreds of rings or design your own dream ring from scratch. Their rings are stunning and make for pure Instagram gold (or silver or platinum!). James Allen will also get you the most ring for your money—saving you up to 50 percent versus traditional retail prices, since everything is online. Plus, all of their diamonds are certified and conflict-free, which is super important to all of us. No matter what James Allen ring you choose, you really can’t go wrong.
Now, for those tips we promised you…
1. Make Sure You Have A Manicure. If the engagement was a surprise and your nails weren’t done, know that it’s perfectly OK to wait a couple days to share your happy news with the world and take a trip to the nail salon first. (If anything, this will also give you a couple extra days to call all of your family and close friends who deserve to know before the rest of the Internet.) It’s true that the James Allen ring will be the real showstopper anyway, but you don’t want chipped polish distracting from the focus of the photo. Along those same lines, you may want to opt for a subtle or neutral polish hue, or even a clear coat versus any elaborate nail art.
2. Relax Your Hand. Hand modeling is much harder than it looks! When you’re sharing a close-up photo of your fingers, all of the sudden you may notice things like bulging veins or dry patches of skin. Before you pose for your ring shot, first make sure your hands are freshly moisturized. Then, focus on getting your hand nice and relaxed. Shake it out before you begin and—as strange as it sounds—give it a gentle slap with your other hand to minimize visible veins. Lastly, be sure to lightly separate your fingers as opposed to clenching them in a claw position.
3. Pick a Pretty Background. Some of the best ring shots we’ve seen have a stunning skyline behind them or are strategically shot in front of a pretty colored fabric or painted wall. Just make sure that your background isn’t too busy, as you want your engagement ring to be front and center.
4. Be a Prop Master. It’s true that your James Allen ring alone will be enough to garner all the ‘likes,’ but it never hurts to get a little creative with your shot and pull in some props. Some adorable ideas to show off your ring include holding a macaron or ice cream cone; clutching a bouquet of flowers or bottle of champagne; running your hand through your hair; or holding hands with your brand new fiancé.
5. Think Like a Photographer. Make sure you do your ring justice by getting the most professional looking shot possible. Some tips to remember are to make sure the ring is clear and in focus, and also centered in your shot. There’s also no better substitute for natural lighting to make your ring sparkle and shine.
6. Wow With a Video. If you want to go beyond capturing the perfect photo, you can really wow your friends and followers by posting a video. James Allen just implemented a new feature on their site that allows customers to build a personalized video to share on social media using your own engagement images and a video of your spinning ring in 360 degree HD. How it works is that once you purchase a ring, James Allen will send you an email with a link to your very own personalized page, From that page, you can upload images of your ring (or your exciting proposal moment!) directly from your device or from Facebook. Those images will them be put into a video format like the one above, along with a 360 virtual look at your actual ring. Talk about the ultimate sparkle in your Instagram feed.
We hope you enjoyed these photos and tips! You really can’t go wrong taking photos with any one of these James Allen rings, and we always enjoy scrolling through their Instagram feed to see what engagement shots they repost.
Which ring featured is your favorite?
Let us know below!
XO Team LC