Hi everyone! It’s your LaurenConrad.com contributor (and co-author of Lauren’s book Celebrate), Leslie. Today I’m excited to say happy 1-year anniversary to Celebrate and give you all an inside look at how it came to be! Let’s get started…
It’s hard to believe that it’s been a year since the launch of Celebrate. I think I speak for all of us involved when I say that the making of this book was a wonderful, whirlwind experience…filled with countless laughs, endless inside jokes, a ridiculous amount of ranunculus, and at least eight different cakes (and four homemade pies). We are all beyond proud of the finished product and couldn’t have imagined it coming out any more beautiful. And since we’ve all finally caught up on our sleep, we thought it might be fun to give you some behind the scenes secrets and spoilers from the making of Celebrate…
1. From beginning to end, the process of making Celebrate took an entire calendar year. We started brainstorming concepts and inspiration in March 2015, with much of the heavy lifting—literally and figuratively—happening between June and October. (Leave it to prop stylist extraordinaire Kate Martindale to find a Christmas tree in August!). Celebrate was first released on March 29, 2016.
2. There was no real baby bump! Despite having plenty of expecting mamas around these days, we couldn’t find a single mama-to-be for “The Baby Shower” photo shoot. Lucky for us, Lauren’s good friend Teal offered to sport a faux bump. She was a real trooper!
3. Photographer Yoni Goldberg shot more than 8,500 photos in the making of Celebrate over the course of 15 shooting days (which doesn’t even include the wedding chapter photos, which were shot by Elizabeth Messina). Despite being a tremendously accomplished photographer, Yoni had trouble mastering “the s’mores photo” for Chapter 12 and required an additional day to get the perfect shot.
4. Lauren spent more than two hours making every single layer of the Raspberry Cream Cheese Crepe Cake for the baby shower (EVERY LAYER!) and personally cooked meals for six of the 12 parties: “The Brunch,” “The Holiday Party,” “The Dinner Party,” “The Baby Shower,” “The Clambake,” and “The Engagement Party.”
5. Spoiler Alert: New Year’s Eve is not actually in August! So, we have to admit that a handful of the parties were actually staged for the book and because many of our friends weren’t always free on random Wednesday afternoons, we had trouble filling the room! Fortunately, each member of “Team Celebrate” volunteered to make a cameo in the book.
6. Celebrate co-author Leslie Bruce—me!—went to the emergency room the morning after “The New Year’s Eve Party” for complications due to “extreme exhaustion.” (Although, I place a majority of the blame on my then ten-month-old daughter).
7. The Celebrate cover was a topic of hot debate. Before deciding on the existing photo of Lauren decorating a naked cake, we very nearly went with the photo below (that appears alongside “The Introduction” on page 1 of the book).
8. The amazing Celebrate photo assistant, Zach Benge, happens to moonlight as a “Fire Spinner,” and offered up his impressive skills for a performance during the Housewarming Party.
9. Lauren’s best friend and Paper Crown co-founder Maura Oehm actually handwrote the word “Celebrate” that was used as the cover title!
10. Despite popular belief, it really does rain in California. The day we photographed the tropical-inspired beachside “Bachelorette” party, we experienced one of the heaviest summer storms. Needless to say, the reason for the wet hair in some of the pictures had nothing to do with ocean waves…
Collectively, our favorite shoot day was “The Clambake.” Not only was it the most casual of all the parties (read: low maintenance), it was also the one where we all got spend time together and enjoy some delicious food!
To really get the anniversary party started, today we’re doing a little giveaway. We’re giving one lucky winner a signed copy of Celebrate so that you too can be a party planner extraordinaire. Here’s how to enter…
1. Follow. Be sure to follow @laurenconrad_com on Instagram.
2. Post. Re-post your favorite photo from this blog post on your Instagram with the hashtag #lccelebrateturns1 and let us know why you should be chosen to be the lucky winner!
3. Wait. We will announce the winner in one week on Wednesday, April 5th.
Good luck everyone!