It may be a Pinterest cliché, but it’s hard to deny that putting anything in a mason jar makes it instantly cuter. And that includes easy, DIY gifts for the holiday season. In the past, we’ve crafted up these mason jar matches, mason jar snow globes, and gingerbread in a jar. And in similar mason jar fashion, today we’re sharing a tutorial for making this sweet and thoughtful gift of mint chocolate chip cookies in a jar. Simply buy the ingredients below, put it together (it only takes about 10 minutes!) and you have an easy and cute gift to hand out to anyone on your list.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies in a Jar
You Will Need:
- 1 12-ounce mason jar with lid
- parchment paper
- twine, gift tag, and fresh flowers (optional)
- ¾ cup packed flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup mint chocolate chips (or chocolate chips of your choice)
1. You’ll want to be able to see the layers of ingredients in your jar, so start by adding them one at a time. I added the flour first, then the brown sugar, then the baking soda, salt, white sugar and lastly, brown sugar. Make sure to pack down each layer so that it is compact, or else you might not have enough room for all of the ingredients in your jar.
2. Top off with your mint chocolate chips, then cut a small piece of parchment paper and lay it over the top of the jar before screwing on the lid.
3. Tie off with a piece of twine and fresh flowers for a pretty touch. And there you have it!
Note: It’s a good idea to write the recipe on your gift tag so that whomever is receiving it can make these cookies! Here are the wet ingredients they will need to add to make the cookies:
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
And here are the instructions, which were inspired by the recipe from Something Turquoise:
Makes about 10 cookies
1. First, remove the chocolate chips from the top of your jar. You will want to separate them from the rest of your dry ingredients.
2. Pour both sugars and your ½ cup of butter into a mixing bowl and mix together. Add your egg and ¼ tsp. vanilla and use an electric mixer to beat on high for about a minute. Add your chocolate chips and refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
3. Once you’re ready to start baking, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and create dough balls from your dough using a spoon or a small ice cream scooper. Bake for about 15 minutes.
Aren’t these gifts just as sweet as can be? We used mint chocolate chips for ours, but you can add any kind of candy to your cookies. If you have a friend who loves Oreos, M&M’s, white chocolate—you name it—personalizing the candy to their preference is a great way to add a special touch to your gift.
What candies will you add to your jar?