This recipe comes to us from the duo behind Sweet Laurel. Claire (our friend and contributor from The Kitchy Kitchen) and Laurel use organic and whole ingredients to make healthy and delicious gluten-free treats.
Pistachio and rose are two flavors that are just meant to be together, and have been for thousands of years. These two ingredients are at their peaks during the summer months, fragrant and rich, so now is the perfect time to create something delicious with these flavors!
At Sweet Laurel, we love working with gluten free alternative flours like almond and coconut, so pistachio was a natural inspiration for us. I’ve always loved pistachios, and was eager to create something beautiful with them. The pistachio flour makes this cake so moist and flavorful, and the rose scented frosting takes this it to the next level. Keep scrolling to see how you can create your very own dairy and gluten free pistachio rose cake below…
Dairy and Gluten Free Pistachio Rose Cake
Makes one 6 inch layer cake
For the cake:
- 2 cups pistachio flour*
- 1/2 cup almond or hazelnut flour
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Available at health food stores or online. If you cannot find pistachio flour, you can make your own by placing shelled pistachios in a food processor and pulsing until flour forms. You can also substitute pistachio flour for almond, hazelnut or cashew flour.
For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 drop rose essential oil
- 1 tablespoon beet juice (for food coloring)
For the decorations:
- organic roses
- shelled pistachios
For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Blend pistachio flour and almond or hazelnut flour in a large bowl. Add salt and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Pour mixture into flour bowl and stir until smooth batter forms.
3. Pour batter into two 6-inch cake rounds. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow cake to cool while you prepare the frosting.
For the frosting:
1. Combine coconut butter, coconut milk, lemon juice and maple syrup in saucepan. Stir over low heat. Whisk until completely smooth. Your frosting should be smooth, but not runny. If it’s too runny, add a bit more coconut butter.
2. Add rose oil and beet juice to frosting. Stir. If you would like the frosting to be more pink, add more beet juice.
To build the cake:
1. Slice cooled cake rounds in half. You should now have four layers. Place the first layer on the cake plate. Top the first layer with 1-2 tablespoons of frosting.
2. Add the second cake layer. Smooth frosting over layer. Repeat until the cake is four layers, with frosting on top of each layer.
3. Decorate the cake with organic roses and shelled pistachios. Place the decorated cake in the refrigerator until serving.
If you enjoyed this pistachio rose cake recipe, be sure to check out the Sweet Laurel website for more healthy and delicious desserts!
Will you be recreating this pistachio rose cake recipe?
Let me know in the comments below if you do!
X Sweet Laurel