It may sound cliché, but to me summertime means sun-kissed skin, salty hair and sandy feet. Living just a few minutes from the beach, I make every excuse to soak up the sun and take a dip in the ocean as often as I can. And while getting my daily dose of vitamin D is all well and good, the summer months can definitely take a toll on my skin. Even the most sunscreen savvy of us know that SPF and sunhats can only do so much when you’re surfing and playing beach volleyball. The hard truth is that those freckles will pop up, and your skin will need some extra TLC during these sunshine-y months.
So, with this in mind, I recently researched some natural remedies for soothing summer skin and I ended up concocting my very own elixir. The end result is an all-natural and organic face mask that leaves my skin feeling moisturized, glowy and exfoliated all at once. I combined coconut oil, which soothes, honey, which detoxifies, green tea, which gives an antioxidant boost, and lemon, which brightens. It’s such a treat for your skin. Plus, you can probably whip it up with things you have in your very own pantry! Here’s how to make my favorite green tea honey coconut face mask…
Green Tea Honey Coconut Face Mask
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon green tea leaves (or about ½ the amount of leaves that come in 1 tea bag)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Mix together your honey, coconut oil lemon juice and green tea leaves. You can do this using a fork or whisk, just make sure that it is thoroughly mixed together and that the coconut oil is not separating.
2. Using your finger or a cotton swab, spread evenly on face.
3. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinse off with warm water and apply your favorite moisturizer.
And there you go! Easy as pie, but pretty delicious for dry and sunburnt skin.
Will you be applying this face mask after your next weekend in the sun?
I highly recommend it!