For as long as I can remember, I’ve always made New Year’s resolutions. While I do try to make positive changes year-round, I personally think the New Year is a great excuse to take time to reflect and push yourself a little further in the right direction. My team and I already shared some of our 2016 resolutions on the blog last week. But today I wanted to talk about one more resolution that I hope everyone will make: going green.
Over the past few years, one of my goals has been to raise awareness about the importance of environmental sustainability. I have written blogs about it, and I am even involved with an incredible company called Blue Avocado that is committed to preserving our Earth’s natural resources. We only have one planet, so let’s take good care of it!
When it comes to going green, small changes make a big difference. There are so many tiny tweaks that you can incorporate into your daily routine that really make a big difference when you add them all up. Say you give up plastic bags, for instance. It may not seem like much at first. But think of how much plastic you will save from landfills over the course of a month, a year, or a lifetime.
To inspire you to live a greener lifestyle in 2016, here are 10 easy changes you can make:
- Use DIY green cleaning supplies or eco-friendly store-bought solutions.
- Store ingredients and leftovers in reusable Blue Avocado (re)zips instead of disposable baggies or throwaway plastic containers.
- Shop at the farmers market, where you can find local and organic produce that comes with a much smaller carbon footprint.
- Plant a tree! Start with a houseplant if you don’t have a garden.
- Always keep a reusable tote on hand. Some of my favorite totes are the stylish and functional hip pod and collapsible shopper from and Blue Avocado. Go one step further, and use reusable produce bags, too.
- Use eco-friendly beauty products. They are much gentler on your skin and the environment.
- Participate in Meatless Monday to lessen your impact on the planet.
- When you travel, ditch the disposable quart-sized Ziplocs for an eco-friendly beauty kit made of post-consumer recycled bottle fabric.
- Challenge yourself to go an entire Saturday or Sunday without using your car. Without a work commute to worry about, choose neighborhood activities that you can walk, bike, or use public transportation to get to.
- If you pack a lunch, opt for an eco-mat from Blue Avocado to store your sandwich or wrap.
Will you join me in living a greener lifestyle in 2016?
Remember, every little bit counts!