Here at LaurenConrad.com, we all love cooking up dishes that are healthy and delicious. But there are times when making something simply because it’s cute is a good enough excuse for us. So, at our most recent photoshoot with our fabulous baker and friend Lauren Lowstan, we decided that these little bear buns were a must-bake. The ingredients are those of your basic bread roll, but the cute little faces are what make them extra special.
Make these for a birthday, baby shower, or just because they’re cute as can be. Without further ado, here’s Lauren’s recipe for little bear buns…
Little Bear Buns
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 ¼ tsp. instant dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 175 mL whole milk, warmed to 100-110 degrees
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the milk and egg into the dry ingredients and mix everything together.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead until it becomes elastic, for about 5 minutes. Add the butter and knead the dough for about 10 minutes or until the dough is soft and shiny.
- Put the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough rise for about 1 ½ to 2 hours until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400º F, then divide the dough into 16 equal pieces and roll all of them but one (which we will use for the ears).
- Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roll the last ball into little round balls for ears.
- Add the ears to each ball with a little water, and let the bear rolls rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until golden brown
- Let the bread buns cool, then draw the eyes and nose with a black edible marker. (We made three little dots for the faces, but you can make whatever faces you want!)
Once your bear buns are ready, set them on a tray to enjoy or serve to your guests. But I warn you: They’re so cute you might not want to eat them.
Do you have any requests for us to bake at our next photoshoot?