Happy Friday everyone! Today we want to congratulate our final DIY Halloween costume contest winner, Paulina! We love a good throwback and adore how Paulina put her own spin on one of our favorite childhood characters, Big Bird. Our feathery friend came to life in this costume tutorial with a little help from bright yellow boas and orange thigh-high socks. Lauren even made a similar version of this costume a few years back (see it here). Keep reading to create your very own version of Big Bird…
DIY Big Bird Hallowen Costume
Here’s what you will need:
- yellow dress of your choice
- 3-4 yellow feather boas
- orange thigh-high socks
- orange t-shirt (for Big Bird’s feet)
- pink/purple socks (for the stripes on Big Bird’s legs)
- yellow thread
- pink and blue eyeshadow
For the body:
1. I got my dress at Goodwill. It was a perfect sleeveless dress for the costume, with a strap going around the neck. I cut off the strap and used it later to make gloves for bird’s arms.
2. Take your yellow feather boas and sew them together around the dress.
3. Make sure you thoroughly cover the whole dress.
For the arms:
1. Like I mentioned above, I was lucky to have additional material from the dress and decided to use it for Big Bird’s arms.
2. I simply cut two long strips, made a hole for my fingers, and tied the whole thing around my arms.
3. Lastly, I sewed some leftover feathers to the strips.
For the legs:
1. I got my orange thigh-high socks off of Amazon but you can also use tights.
2. For the stripes going around Big Bird’s legs I simply cut the colorful furry socks into strips creating circles (just like a rubber band or hair tie) that will easily stay on your legs. You will need about four strips for each leg.
3. You can find another way to make your pink/purple stripes. The reason I used furry socks is because they won’t cut off any blood pressure on your legs. Make sure you find something that will be comfortable to wear around your legs!
For the feet:
1. Cut sleeves off of the t-shirt to use them as a support for the top of Big Bird’s feet.
2. Then cut out the shape of Big Bird’s feet (three toes) from the rest of your orange shirt.
3. Make sure you cut out four samples of those toes. You will need to sew two of them together and fill them with the rest of the shirt’s material or other stuffing so that the feet look big enough.
4. Cut two little holes on the bottom side of one of Big Bird’s feet and put a piece of material through it. This way you will easily tie the feet to your shoes and make sure they will stay in place.
5. Lastly, sew the top of the feet (the part that goes around your ankles) together with your Big Bird feet.
For the makeup:
1. The fun part! Big Bird’s eyes are blue on the bottom eyelid and pink above it. However, I’d say that you can play with it according to what you like. Also, as seen in my picture, you can put as much eyeshadow that you feel comfortable with.
Viola! Happy spooky Halloween!
What costume will you be wearing tonight?
And thank you so much to everyone who entered our DIY Halloween Costume Contest! We can’t wait to do it again next year.
XO Team LC