Happy Labor Day, everyone! We hope all of our American LaurenConrad.com readers are enjoying the day off today, especially you young professionals. Take a moment to thank yourself for all the hard work you do! Before you hit the beach or pool (with our Labor Day playlist to set the tone of course), we have a breakfast recipe you’ll love. Today we’re sharing a recipe for patriotic pancakes that our LaurenConrad.com nutritionist contributor, Shira Lenchewski, RD., told us about. Not only are they red, white and blue to honor this American holiday, they’re super healthy, too. Here’s how to make them…
- 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp grape seed oil
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup gluten free whole oat flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 2/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place the berries on a parchment-lined baking sheet (keeping blueberries and raspberries separate), and toss with grape seed oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove berries from the oven and scoop into two separate bowls.
3. Heat a skillet over medium heat while you make the pancake batter.
4. Combine the flour, yogurt, and salt in a bowl and mix well. In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs.
5. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir to distribute evenly. Separate mixture evenly into 3 small bowls.
6. Fold 1-2 Tbsp baked blueberries into one bowl of pancake batter, and 1-2 Tbsp baked raspberries into another, until desired consistency and color. (You may want to add a little extra flour if the constancy becomes too runny.)
7. Pour a Tbsp of oil in the skillet, and ladle small amounts of blueberry batter onto the pan. Make any size pancake you like! Cook until bubbles form in the center of the pancake and the underside is lightly browned (2-4 minutes). Carefully flip and cook the second side until lightly browned. Remove to a plate, and repeat with the raspberry and plain batter. Top with the remaining baked berries.
Shira recommends serving these pancakes with a teaspoon of coconut sugar and a dollop of 2% plain Greek yogurt, which gives them an unexpected burst of flavor.
Enjoy! And have a fabulous Labor Day!
How are you spending the day off?
Let us know in the comments below.
XO Team LC
P.S. Thanks to Shira for sharing this delicious recipe!