Happy Cinco de Mayo to everyone who is celebrating today! In honor of the holiday, I wanted to share two refreshing beverage recipes that are both healthy and delicious: Homemade Coconut Horchata and Watermelon Lime Agua Fresca. Some horchata recipes call for condensed or whole milk, so I gave mine a healthier, non-dairy twist by using coconut milk. The agua fresca recipe originally comes from The Kitchn, but it’s become a favorite of mine. I like this agua fresca recipe because instead of using tons of white sugar or artificial sweetener, it contains only fresh fruit and agave. The recipes below are virgin, but you can also spike either of these drinks to make a refreshing adult beverage if you prefer. Either way, they are sure to quench your thirst for something sweet…
Homemade Coconut Horchata
- 4 cups almond milk
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks, plus more for garnish
- 14 oz. coconut milk (If you are using canned coconut milk, make sure it is creamy not chunky.)
- ½ cup rice or almond flour
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ice cubes
- ground cinnamon for garnish
- Bring your almond milk and cinnamon sticks to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat, and transfer to a bowl or pitcher.
- Whisk in coconut milk, rice flour, and vanilla.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve over ice with ground cinnamon and a cinnamon stick for garnish.
Watermelon Lime Agua Fresca
- 2 pounds seedless watermelon (1/8 of a good-sized melon)
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp agave
- Blend all ingredients.
- Strain through a mesh strainer if you like, but I actually love having pieces of fresh melon in mine!
- Serve over ice.
Which one of these drink recipes are you going to try first? Are you planning a fiesta today? Enjoy! XO Lauren P.S. For anyone asking, the pitchers and glassware are all from my fair trade shop The Little Market.