Valentine’s Day is one of those holidays that can either be delightful or depressing. But today we’re sharing a little Valentine’s Day inspiration shoot that we think everyone will love no matter what your relationship status is. Whether you’re single or spoken for, it’s still fun to get together and celebrate love with your besties, right?
With that idea in mind, our friends at Savour This Moment catering, Tasteful Tatters event design, and Anna Delores photography put their heads together and came up with a gorgeous Valentine’s Day girls brunch.
So get ready for some fun and feminine V-Day inspiration below. You’ll also find all the brunch recipes, along with instructions for the adorable DIY heart favors. Enjoy!
DIY Sequin Heart Hair Clips
- sequin trim
- hot glue gun
- hair clip (one with teeth is best)
- Cut a heart out of the felt in the shape and size you wish.
- Glue your sequin trim around the perimeter of the heart, starting at the bottom point. When you’ve come all the way around, slightly adjust the trim up to start a new layer. Keep wrapping and gluing your trim until you have reached the center. Since the hot glue dries fast, glue in 1 to 2 inch sections at a time.
- When the felt is totally covered, cut your trim and secure the last sequin piece with another dot of glue.
- Glue your hair clip to the back of the heart in the position you desire and let dry.
Eat Your Heart Out Crepe Cake with Mascarpone Cream Filling
Adapted from Alton Brown’s crepe recipe
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup of Milk
- ½ cup Water
- 1 cup of Flour
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 2 Tbsp of Melted Butter
- butter, coating the pan
For Mascarpone Cream:
- 8 oz. heavy cream
- 8 oz. Mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all of the listed crepe ingredients in a blender and pulse for 1 minute. Place batter in refrigerator for one hour to rest.
- Coat hot pan with butter. Pour 1/8 cup of batter in pan and swirl to distribute evenly and create a thin circle. Leave for 30 seconds on one side until golden and then flip on to other side for 10 seconds until golden.
- Place crepes to the side and allow to cool. Using either a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine heavy cream, mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Whip until stiff cream forms.
- To assemble the cake, lay one crepe down and using a rubber spatula spread on a layer of cream. Continue doing so until your finished product is a layered cake.
- Place heart cutout on top of the cake and then using a sifter and powdered sugar, let it snow over your cake. Carefully remove your heart cutout.
Apple of My Eye Pancakes with Pink Lady Brown Sugar Sauce
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 ½ – 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- ½ cup of apple sauce (homemade or store-bought)
For Pink Lady Brown Sugar Sauce:
- ½ pink lady apple, sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a stand mixer or bowl, mix all the wet pancake ingredients and then incorporate all the dry ingredients. If the batter seems too thick, feel free to add a little more milk.
- Cook on a hot greased pan or griddle. Cook until bubbles begin to form on the batter and then flip to other side. Both sides should be golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and water. Stir and reduce until the sauce thickens.
- In a separate pan, sauté sliced apples until tender.
- Place pancakes on plate, lay tender apples over pancakes and dress pancakes with brown sugar reduction.
Mademoiselle Mushroom Quiche
- dough (short dough recipe below or puff pastry)
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup of milk
- pinch of salt + pepper
- olive oil
- ½ cup of mushrooms
- ½ red onion, fine chop
- ¼ cup of feta cheese
- ½ tsp of rosemary, fine chop
Standard Short Dough (prepare in stand mixer):
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 stick of cold butter
- 3 Tbsp ice water
- Coat sauté pan with olive oil and bring to high heat. Sauté mushrooms, onions and rosemary together until tender. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out your dough and find a circle with approximately a three-inch diameter to cut circles into the dough. Then place them into your muffin tin with a little bit of dough sticking out of each individual mold.
- Blind bake the crusts for 5 to 8 minutes (line your dough with some plastic wrap and fill with dried beans or rice, and then place in the oven).
- Remove plastic wrapped dried beans from quiche cups. Add some crumbled feta cheese at the bottom and then spoon sautéed vegetables into each individual quiche cup.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper and pour into quiche cups.
- Bake in oven for approximately 6-10 minutes, until egg is completely cooked and crust has hardened.
- Serve with a farmers market salad of arugula, tomatoes, and feta
Cali’ Love Breakfast Egg Tostadas
- corn tortillas
- eggs (1 per tostada)
- 1 ½ cup of black beans
- 1 red pepper, small chop
- ½ red onion, small chop
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, fine chop (for garnish)
- salt + pepper
- Savour This Sauce cilantro Thai chile dressing
- Shallow fry small corn tortillas in hot oil and then place onto a paper towel to cool and absorb excess oil.
- Coat medium sized sauté pan with olive oil. Add red onion, red pepper and garlic. Sauté until tender and incorporate black beans. Season with salt and pepper and then set aside.
- In sauté pan, fry four sunny side up eggs, seasoning with salt and pepper. Then, using either a circle cookie cuter or a circular object and a knife, cut perfect circles around each egg yolk.
- Using a microplane, fine chop red cabbage and toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Cut avocado into slices. Rough chop fresh cilantro.
- Place fried corn tortilla down. Spoon black bean, red pepper, onion and garlic mixture onto middle of the corn tortilla. Place fried egg on top of the bean mixture. Garnish with cabbage, avocado and chopped cilantro. Drizzle with Savour This Sauce Cilantro Thai Chile Dressing or another cilantro dressing.
Happy Valentine’s Day, ladies!
Which one of these yummy recipes are you going to try first?
XO Team LC