Hi everyone, it’s Ilana from Team LC! From business casual to winter white, fashion is full of perfectly sensible contradictions. My favorite fashion oxymoron: geek chic. The fashion choices that would have had you shunned by the cool crowd in middle school have never been more stylish. The cute and quirky look has been having a major moment for the past few years, and can be spotted everywhere this season from the runways of Marc by Marc Jacobs to the racks at J. Crew (to the backs of your LC.com editors!). Incorporating geek chic elements into your ensemble is a fun way to punch up a fashionable but otherwise lackluster outfit into something with a little more edge. Here are five fun ways to embrace your inner geek and look good doing it…
1. Ditch the contacts for a day. Thick-rimmed specs are practically synonymous with the geek chic trend. So instead of lamenting your 20/100 vision, try out a pair of boldly bookish frames from Warby Parker or Elizabeth and James.
2. Wear socks with frocks. Sometimes all it takes is a simple pair of socks to transform your outfit from plain old chic to geek. Try ankle-length bobby socks like the ones styled with this Paper Crown look or an over-the-knee pair à la model-off-duty Andreea Diaconu.
3. Get cropped and printed. Sans suspenders of course, cropped and printed trousers make a chic statement with just the right amount of quirk. Don’t be afraid to experiment with polka dots, plaid, and other quirky prints.
4. Flaunt your collar. The collared shirt is a staple of any geek chic wardrobe and a great look for an internship or work. Go for a contrast collar like the one on this dress from Lauren’s Kohl’s collection, or layer a button-up blouse under your favorite crew-neck knit. (Here’s my own take on the trend.)
5. Don’t forget your footwear. Oxfords might as well be the official footwear choice for the geek chic trend. A pair of cropped pants might be the more obvious pairing, but you can also add a dash of geek chic to a dainty dress with this unexpected footwear choice.
What are your thoughts on the geek chic look?
Leave me a link to your own geek chic ensemble in the comments below!