I hope everyone is enjoying our newest Book Club read, Gone Girl, so far. For today’s Q&A I will be presenting you with a few reading questions based on everything up to “Part Two: Boy Meets Girl.” Here are the first few questions to answer along with my answers…
- Do you think Nick Dunne is guilty and why?
- How do you feel about Amy? Do you find her sympathetic?
- Do you believe that Nick didn’t know that Amy was pregnant?
- Do you think Amy’s disappearance has anything to do with Andie?
- What do you think Nick finds in the shed behind Go’s house in the end of Part 1?
- I am conflicted about this. Part of me thinks he is guilty, because he doesn’t seem really affected by Amy’s disappearance. It seems like he’s going through the motions of what a husband should do when their wife disappears. However, a tiny part of me believes him when he says that he’s innocent, although I can’t explain why.
- To me, Amy sounds like a neglected wife who moved to the middle of nowhere to support her husband, and is now living a life that she never wanted or planned on. I feel bad for Amy, mainly because it seems pretty clear from her diary entries that her marriage to Nick wasn’t working out, and that she was really unhappy.
- It’s hard to believe that Nick wouldn’t have known that his wife was pregnant, and that Amy would have told a friend but not told Nick. However, it seems like their marriage was pretty dysfunctional at the time when Amy disappeared, so although I initially thought that Nick MUST know that Amy was pregnant, I actually think it’s possible that he had no idea.
- I don’t think Amy’s disappearance has anything to do with Andie. Andie seems pretty naïve and innocent. However, it does make Nick look even guiltier that he’s had a mistress/girlfriend on the side for over a year.
- I think that Nick finds Amy’s body in the shed (I hope that this isn’t the case, but that was my first thought when I finished this section of the book!).
Now it’s your turn to answer the questions! Leave your responses in the comments below.
Also, I’ll be announcing the date and time for our Live Book Chat that will conclude this round of Book Club soon. In the meantime, keep reading and check back in a few days for all the details!