Its no secret SPF is essential during the summer months. But did you know it’s equally important during the wintertime? Oh, what’s that? You work inside all day so you don’t need sunscreen? Not so fast; it’s important for you too!
UV rays are just as harmful during the winter as they are in the summertime… even if you spend your days working indoors, hidden from the sunshine. UVA rays penetrate window glass, which means you are exposed during your commute and if your office is filled with natural light. UV rays are especially harmful in snowy conditions since rays are strengthened due to the reflective nature of snow. The same goes for cloudy days. So lather up ladies!
All of these forms of exposure contribute to something called “photoaging.” Photoaging is a process of aging caused by UVA and UVB exposure. Major symptoms of photoaging include spider veins on the face or neck, loss of color and fullness in lips and wrinkle formations on the face, neck, ears, hands or chest. No thank you! (Note: You may want to think twice about those hands on the sunny steering wheel too because hands and necks show the symptoms of photoaging the most.) Since even the slightest bits of exposure add up quickly, it’s important to protect any uncovered skin with a broad spectrum UVA and UVB lotion with a minimum SPF of 15.
I use SPF 40 every morning (I use Josie Maran Protect Daily SPF 40+). I apply it to my face, neck and hands. If you’re looking for a quality SPF, I suggest buying something with one or more of the following ingredients:
- B3: It aids in skin renewal and helps to improve your skins natural moisture barrier.
- Lycopene: Helps improve your skin’s natural protection against ultraviolet radiation.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Restores water content, elasticity and firmness to your skin.
- Vitamin C: This antioxidant helps reduce the appearance of sun damage and increases skin’s moisture.
- Katafray Bark: This ingredient is full of natural moisturizing properties.
- Argan Oil: Repairs sun damage and keeps skin looking radiant and smooth.
What’s your favorite SPF?
Sources: Natural Skin Health, Pharmacy Mix, Adore Beauty