During the winter, there’s nothing better than curling up with a delicious cup of hot chocolate after a long day spent battling the icy outdoors. (And when I say ‘icy’ I mean temps dropping below 70-degrees here in California. At least we can pretend to have seasons… haha.) While store-bought gifts are wonderful, homemade presents are even better! Especially when chocolate is in the mix (literally). Today I’m going to show you how to make an inexpensive, yet thoughtful, holiday gift: Hot Cocoa Mix in a Jar. Not only will you be giving your friends and family something sweet to sip on, you will also be giving them an excuse to take the time to snuggle up with a cup of hot cocoa and relax. And we all know, nothing beats that.
What you will need:
- 1 mason jar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 ½ cups powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (Alton Brown‘s secret ingredient!)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- Gift tag
- Mix together all ingredients except the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Divide powder mixture into mason jars leaving room for chocolate chips and marshmallows. Then add a layer of chips and a layer of marshmallows on top of the mix.
- Write these instructions on stationary paper: Combine ½ cup of mix with 1 cup of hot water. Spinkle with marshmallows & chips and enjoy!
- Fold up instructions and place on top mix in the jar (or tie onto the outside of the jar). Seal tightly.
- Finish it off by tying a ribbon around the lid of the jar or decorating the mason jar as your see it (the above photo is great decorating inspo).
Are you going to give a little sweetness this holiday season?