From top left: (top row) Theory Virny Jacket, J Brand Skinny Jeans, LC Lauren Conrad Linen Pleated Shorts, LC Lauren Conrad Pointelle Cardigan, (mid row) Jil Sander Simple Tote, J.Crew Biella Loafers, J.Crew Scarf, (bottom row) Repetto Ballerina Flats, 3.1 Phillip Lim Silk Tee, LC Lauren Conrad Stripped Racerback Tank, Mulberry Kilty Skirt
It’s time for teachers, time for books and time to start the school year off on a fashionable foot!
While it’s sad to leave those lazy summer days behind in your rearview, there’s something exciting about the end of summer… The leaves begin to brown, the air becomes crisp, and the sounds of school bells serenade the late-summer air: It’s back to school season!
On today’s lesson plan, I’ll be reviewing the 10 back to school basics you need to refresh your closet for the new school year.
If your school days are over like mine, these basics are still great pieces to have in your closet (just swap out the book bag for a nice tote).
Here we go…
- Jacket. Be sure to get a jacket that is versatile and easy to layer over other pieces. Think simple and solid. I recommend a investing in a neutral colored jacket, such as a steel gray or black, so you can wear it with a wide variety of colors and prints. If you’re in a more temperate climate, blazers (like this one from Urban Outfitters) are great for school!
- Jeans. It’s always a good idea to start the year off with a fresh pair of jeans. I used to get a pair of light and a pair of dark jeans to last me through the school year. White jeans are also a good idea… I just did a pair of white denim pants for my LC Lauren Conrad line for Kohl’s. Click here to check them out. If jeans aren’t your thing, opt for leggings instead.
- Shorts. Don’t fall into a rut and wear jeans every day. Mix it up by sporting some shorts. Wear them in the fall with tights and when the weather warms up let your gams go bare. The shorts featured in the collage I made (above) are the Pleated Linen Shorts I designed for my LC Lauren Conrad line. Between you and me, I am kind of obsessed with them… and they’re on sale for $26.40 too!
- Cardigan. They may be basic, but cardigans are as versatile as they are chic. A beautiful cardigan can be worn year-round–layer it under a coat or wear it over anything (colors and fabric permitting, of course)! The Pointelle Cardigan from my LC Lauren Conrad line (pictured above) is great option.
- Book Bag. I think it’s nice to start the year off with a new book bag (or backpack). This ASOS bag is sleek, stylish and very cute. I like this oversized version as well.
- Simple Tee. A lightweight tee is the perfect base any ensemble. Since they wear out over time, try to replenish your stock of simple shirts each fall. I like this Bird Tee from my LC Lauren Conrad line… the color is fresh and the print is understated yet fun.
- Tank. Pick up a few simple tanks in solid colors as well as stripes or floral prints. I particularly love the Floral Ruffle Tank I designed for Kohl’s (and it looks gorgeous paired with the Pointelle Cardigan).
- Neutral Scarf. Classrooms get chilly. Be prepared with a scarf so you can throw it over yourself when temperatures dip.
- Simple Flats. In my opinion, wearing heels to school is a little tacky. After all, we’re talk about school ladies, not clubbing. Get a pair (or two) of smart flats. Laceless oxfords are very popular this season and are perfectly appropriate for school. Otherwise, go with a pair of ever-chic ballerina flats.
- Lacey Mini. If you had to pick one trendy item this season, I suggest getting a texturized mini skirt. Whether it’s lace or eyelet–a fun mini is a great way to balance out the harsh lines and stark colors of fall fashions.
What’s on your back to school shopping list?
Are you a working girl? Let me know if you would like me to do a post about work wear in the comments.
P.S. If you wear uniforms at your school, check out chapter 9 of my book, Style, for some uniform-friendly styling tips.