I received lots of requests in response to my post, Slim Tip: Why Break the Fast?, to share the recipe for the egg white omelet I like to have for breakfast, so I have posted the whole thing for you below!
When I have the time, I like to whip up a nice breakfast for myself. Usually, I make an egg white omelet with vegetables. This makes for a great breakfast because the egg whites are full of protein and the veggies have lots of nutrients and fiber.
Below is the basic recipe I follow. Needles to say, I do mix it up based on what vegetables are in season and, more importantly, what’s available in my refrigerator. Sometimes I’ll have the omelet with a side of toast and berries depending on how much time I have…
Note: This recipe makes one omelet.
- ¼ cup egg whites (sometimes I add in a full egg, with the yolk)
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- ¼ teaspoon (about a pinch) onion powder
- ¼ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup shredded low fat (or skim) grated mozzarella cheese
- Note: A few vegetables I like to sub in are steamed asparagus, sauteed mushrooms, or steamed broccoli.
- In a bowl, beat together the egg whites, spinach and onion powder.
- In a small skillet coated with olive oil cooking spray over medium heat, pour in the egg mixture and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip with spatula and cook another 2 minutes. (At this point it will look like a big egg pancake. Yum!)
- Reduce heat to low and sprinkle on cheese and cherry tomatoes and then fold omelet in half (one side over the other). Cook for another minute or so to allow cheese to melt and then serve.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
This omelet is really simple, quick, and very easy to make! Plus, it’s a great way to kick start your day. The best part? You’ll notice that the egg + veggie combo will keep you feeling full longer.
Do you have quick and healthy breakfast recipe? Upload the recipe to your LaurenConrad.com profile page and link the recipe in the comments below. I will feature my favorite recipes in the Dine Gallery and spotlight one in a follow up post!
Learn how to upload and submit recipes by clicking here.