About once a month, my mother would prepare a very simple side of pasta with a sweet, buttery tomato sauce. Usually she used elbow macaroni pasta, because usually a small bowl of tomato pasta would be served alongside pesto sun-dried tomato tortellini salad, our pretty much once a week tradition. Mom would just make extra tortellini and stir in the tomato sauce for it. She did this because my dad requested it, and he wanted it because that’s what his mother in Virginia used to make for him. Oddly, the hot buttery tomato pasta was, and still is, a perfect taste complement to the yummy spicy pesto.This is my father’s comfort food. Mom made it the other day with corkscrew pasta instead of tortellini and I liked the way that the ridges in the corkscrews capture the sauce better. Apparently, a simple tomato sauce cooked with butter instead of olive oil is a classic in Italian cuisine. If you haven’t tried making tomato sauce with butter, I recommend it. It’s actually amazingly superb. We add a bit sugar to the sauce, because the sauce just tastes better to us when it’s sweeter. My mother also adds a little bit of fresh or dried basil, not much, just a pinch. Not so much that you get distracted from the sweet, buttery tomatoes.
20 min cook | 4 servings | 5 min prep
- of tortellini 0.5 pound | of good quality whole tomatoes 1 ounce | of butter 2 tbsp | of sugar 2 tsp | of salt 1 pinch | of pepper 1 pinch | of dried or fresh sliced basil (Optional) 1 pinch
- Half fill a 4 quart pot with water. Add a tablespoon of salt. Bring salted water to boil. Add pasta. Cook until al dente
- tender but still a little firm.
- While the pasta water is heating and the pasta is cooking
- prepare the tomatoes. Shred the canned whole tomatoes with your fingers as you put them in a small saucepan. Add any tomato juice left in the can to the pot. Add the butter. Heat to a simmer and stir to melt the butter. Simmer gently while the pasta is cooking. Stir in sugar
- and pepper to taste. If you have fresh basil
- thinly slice a couple leaves and stir in. If not
- if you want you can add a pinch of dried basil.
- When the pasta is done
- drain it. Stir in the cooked tomatoes and put in a serving bowl.
- Serve immediately.