I’ve always been one of those people who would rather eat cookie dough with a spoon than wait for it to be baked into cookies. And when that cookie dough happens to be high in protein, high in fiber, vegan (no raw eggs to worry about!), and free from processed sugar—then why not, right?
You might recall the Healthy No-Bake Cookie Dough Bites that I shared here on LC.com a while back. It is one of my very favorite recipes that I make whenever I’m craving a sweet treat to snack on. Well lately, I’d been seeing chickpea ‘cookie dough’ recipes popping up all over Pinterest, and I knew I had to experiment with this new healthy treat too. The Healthy Protein Cookie Dough that resulted is essentially the exact same recipe as my Healthy No-Bake Cookie Dough Bites. The only difference is that I replaced the cashews and oats with chickpeas and peanut butter—making this version higher in protein and fiber than the original.
I made this when we were all together at our last Team LC photo shoot and Lauren was especially skeptical that I could make chickpeas taste anything remotely like cookie dough. But even she had to admit that it turned out pretty tasty! Here’s how to make it…
Healthy Protein Cookie Dough
- 1 15-oz. can of chickpeas
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp agave syrup
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips or sweet cacoa nibs
- Combine chickpeas, peanut butter, agave, maple, and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer your “dough” into a mixing bowl and stir in chocolate ships by hand.
- Chill in the fridge or freezer until cold. Note: This treat tastes much better chilled than at room temperature.
Are you going to give this healthy treat a try?
Don’t knock chickpea cookie dough until you try it!
P.S. For anyone wondering, the cute ‘Stir Things Up’ spoon is from For Such a Time Designs on Etsy.